The Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Institute (ASTRI) has won 14 awards at the 46th International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva. With three of these 14 awards being accompanied by a Congratulations from the Jury, ASTRI is one of the most awarded organisations among Hong Kong participants in the Exhibition.
Held annually in Geneva, the International Exhibition of Inventions is recognised as the most revered and specialised event of its kind in the world. It attracts exhibitors from around the globe who showcase their inventions and innovations to a large global audience. For this year, there were 822 exhibitors and a thousand inventions on display in the Exhibition. A Hong Kong delegation comprising around 15 institutions and universities won 98 awards. Among them, ASTRI received three Gold Medals with Congratulations of the Jury, eight Gold medals and three Silver medals. This remarkable feat made ASTRI one of the most awarded organisations among the Hong Kong exhibitors.
The three ASTRI projects winning Gold Medals with Congratulations of the Jury were: B-TrunC Base-station for mission critical communications which enables fast, reliable, low-latency communications; Advanced Safety Design for Rechargeable Battery to prevent accidents causing by overheating of battery during recharging; and Non-invasive Bloodless Glucometer.
Commenting on this special achievement, Mr Wong Ming-yam – ASTRI’s Chairman said: “The International Exhibition of Inventions in Geneva is a highly respected international platform for innovators from around the world. ASTRI is honoured and delighted to stand out among many world-class inventors and institutions with 14 prestigious awards. This recognition of our innovative endeavours once again demonstrates ASTRI’s R&D capability and strength. ASTRI will continue to dedicate its efforts to help enhance Hong Kong’s global competitiveness through applied research.”
ASTRI’s winning projects at the International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva:
|Gold Medal with the Congratulations of the Jury
1. B-TrunC base-station for mission critical communications
2. Advanced safety design for rechargeable battery
3. Non-invasive bloodless glucometer
4. Panoramic video processor
5. Barcode-free retail scanner
6. 3D high power electronic modules
7. Narrowband internet of things
8. Glass surface defects inspection system
9. Automated processing platform for handwritten Chinese character recognition
10. Vehicle detection, tracking and localisation based on enhanced anti-perspective transformation
11. Smart data indexing system for mobile devices
12. Apparatus and method for fast evaluation of plating additives performance in microvia filling
13. Touch and motion detection using surface map, object shadow and a single camera
14. All-in-one Virtual Reality based Head Mount Display System (HMD)
The International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva is organised under the patronage of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Swiss Federal Government, the State, and the City of Geneva. With its unparalleled profile and global stature, the Exhibition is acknowledged as the most important show of inventions anywhere in the world. It is also the most international, with the participation of more than 45 countries and territories.